1st Annual Smokehouse Homebrew Competition
Welcome to the first annual Smokehouse Homebrew Competition. We love good beer and we really like having a wide selection of beer styles to choose from. To that end we have decided to put on a BJCP sanctioned event to get Maritime homebrewers to send us their best Strong Bitter brews to be judged with the winning recipe being scaled up and brewed as a Smokehouse Special Edition.
- Entrants must be homebrewers from Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, or PEI and entries cannot be produced on the premises of a commercial brewery. To be fair, commercial brewers or brewers in training are also not eligible.
- Beers judged according to BJCP Style guidelines for 11C Strong Bitter https://www.bjcp.org/style/2015/11/
- Beers must be either all grain or extract with malt or hop additions. Purchased “complete kits” are not eligible.
- Brews must be properly documented (brewing sheet attached) and fully reproducible.
- Enough beer to fill 6 bottles (341 ml or 500 ml) to be submitted for review & judging.
- $20 (HST included) registration fee entitles each beer submission to a ticket for a 16 oz glass (filled with the beer of your choice), a Tee shirt (tell us what size), and 5Kg of Marris Otter malt from our sponsors Brew Culture (to be picked up at the Taproom). Registration can be completed in person at the Smokehouse Taproom in Berwick or online at http://www.smokehousebrewery.ca
- Due to the limits of our venue only the first 40 paid entries will be accepted.
- Samples and Brew Sheets must be received between Saturday February 19 and Saturday March 5, 2022.
Review, Judging and Awards Reception:
- All entries will receive a written evaluation (including suggestions if applicable) by an official BJCP certified judge.
- The top 4 entries will be selected for final judging by BJCP certified judges.
- Awards will be handed out during a ceremony on Saturday March 19, 2022 at the Smokehouse Taproom in Berwick and finalists are asked to bring a quantity of their beer for attendees to sample.
- The Gold Medal winner will be asked to join our Brewmaster in brewing a full scale batch of their award winning recipe to be packaged and released as a Smokehouse Special Edition. They will also be presented with a trophy that will be kept on display at the Taproom and receive a $100 shopping spree at the “Smokehouse Pantry” for brewing supplies or swag.
- Prizes will also be given out for Silver, Bronze, and Honourable Mention.
**Smokehouse retains the right to name and brew the product in the future without royalty, compensation or limitation.**